It so happened that theater etiquette largely repeats the etiquette of official celebrations and receptions, so it has many conventions and limitations. AiF.ru recalls the basic principles of behavior in the theater. Some rules may seem obvious, but still you should not neglect them.
1. Coming to the theater is recommended to be dressed more festively than usual. Men can wear a dark suit, a light shirt and tie, and women can change their outfit by adding accessories to it. Ladies should remember that refresh perfume immediately before the performance - bad taste. Eau de toilette, even the most expensive, should be used in moderation. Dozens of aromas are mixed in the hall, which, for some spectators, can cause dizziness or even an allergic reaction.
2. Good manners allow a woman to invite a companion to the theater, but in any case tickets must be presented to the controller by the man. He is at the entrance to the theater opens the door to a woman. According to the rules of etiquette for the performance need to arrive in advance. Twenty minutes will be enough to hand over your clothes to the wardrobe without haste and purchase a program that will familiarize you with the cast.
3. In wardrobe man must help companion take off your coat and only then undress yourself. Having handed over the outer clothing, the man keeps the number plates, and does not carry them on his finger like a ring, but immediately puts it in his pocket. Looking at yourself in the mirrorswalking through the lobby of the theater during the interval and before the performance, - tactlessly. If you need to fix something, put yourself in order in the toilet room.
4. A man enters the auditorium first, he shows the lady the way to the place, if this is not done by an employee of the theater. To your place you should go facing the seated and apologize for the concern with a quiet voice or a nod of the head (if the passage between the rows is wide enough, then the person sitting does not have to get up; if the passage is narrow, then you need to get up and let the passer through).
The first between the rows is always a manand followed by his companion. Having reached his armchairs, the man stops near them and waits for the lady to sit down, and then he sits down himself.
5. Take your seats in the hall no later than the third call. If they are in the middle of a row, then you should sit on them in advanceso that you don’t bother already sitting around the edges of you. If your seats are not located in the middle of the row, then you can allow yourself to linger a bit so that you do not get up many times later, letting in the audience sitting in the middle.
6. If you find that your seats are taken - Present your tickets to those sitting on them and politely ask them to be released. If an error occurred and several tickets were issued to one place at once, then contact the theater staff, they are obliged to solve the problem.
remember, that indecent. First of all, you bring concern to those people who have to prove that these are their places. And, secondly, you yourself will be embarrassed when, in front of the entire audience, they will “chase you away”.
7. It is indecent to be late for the theater (Only in the box can you enter after the lights in the room are turned off). In other cases, theater employees have the right not to let you into the hall before the intermission. But if you were allowed to enter, then do it as quietly as possible and sit on the first empty seat. Sneaking into your seats in the middle of the action is unacceptable - during the interval you will be able to take those indicated on the ticket.
8. Taking seats in the auditorium should not put hands on both armrests - it may cause inconvenience to your neighbor. You should not sit very close, clinging to each other, as those sitting behind may not see the scene behind you.
Crossing legs, spreading legs wide apart, sitting on the edge of a chair, leaning on the back of the front seat and resting against it with your feet is also indecent.
9. Even if it seems like it’s stuffy in the auditorium, do not use the program as a fan. And remember that you cannot look into the theater binoculars of people in the hall. It is intended solely to observe the action on stage.
10. The main rule in the theater is to observe complete silence. Before the performance, turn off the mobile phones, they interfere not only with the audience, but also with the artists. Do not discuss the play of the actors during the action, as well as the inappropriate behavior of other viewers. It is acceptable to make a quiet voice to the audience who violate the order, but remember that it is the duty of the theater staff.
If you have a coldthen it’s better to miss the sight: nothing prevents the audience and artists like coughing and sneezing in the audience. And, of course, during the performance it is unacceptable to eat, rustle with bags, bags, tap with your feet.
11. During the intermission You can stay in the hall, visit the buffet or take a walk in the lobby. It follows the same rules of conduct as on the street. Having met friends, you can exchange impressions, but quietly. If a woman wants to stay in place during the intermission, the companion stays with her. And if he needs to go out, he apologizes for a short time to leave her.
12.Leaving the room during the action - A clear indicator of the low culture of the viewer. Even if you are disappointed with the performance, wait for the intermission and only then leave the theater. Certainly it is unacceptable to fall asleep during a performance, even if you had a hard day, and the production was boring. Show excessive pleasure in what is happening on stage during the action is also considered bad form.
The applause must be organic: individual popping, sounded in complete silence, can bring down actors. But after the end of the performance, you can not hide your positive emotions. Applause is an expression of gratitude to the audience, but whistling, screaming, stomping in the theater are unacceptable.
13.If you want to give flowers especially the actor you like, then do it at the very end of the performance, while not rising to the stage. Wait for the final bows when all the participants of the performance will line up on the front of the stage and present flowers standing in the aisle between the stage and the first row of the stalls. You can also transfer the bouquet to the artist through an employee of the theater.
14.At the end of the performance, do not immediately run into the wardrobeto get your clothes. Artists often bow more than once, so wait until the curtain closes. Only after that you can slowly leave the auditorium.
If due to some circumstances the viewer needs to leave the theater earlier, then by unspoken rules he looks at the last act on the balcony, then, without disturbing anyone, leaves.
15. In order not to waste time standing in the line of the wardrobe, you can wait while taking a walk in the lobby and discuss the performance you saw.
In the wardrobe, the man himself must first put on a coat or cloak, and then give outer clothing to his companion.
How to behave?
In terms of significance, theatrical performance is comparable to a solemn or official reception, therefore, it requires compliance with certain standards of ethics of communication and behavior. At all times, there were behavioral norms. Now the requirements for them are slightly simplified. However, this does not mean that they can be ignored.
When visiting a theater, it is recommended to behave with restraint. Do not talk loudly, create crowding, publicly tidy yourself up. For this there are ladies' rooms. For any questions, you can contact the theater staff. This should be done with special courtesy, respect.
In order not to be a “black sheep” and to get the maximum pleasure from the watched performance, it is necessary to observe the unspoken canons accepted by the society. They will help maintain the atmosphere of the holiday and a kind of mystery of action.
Theatrical ethics pays attention to appearance, the rules of being in the theater building, in the auditorium, at the end of the performance. A special role is given to the norms of behavior of children for which their parents are responsible.
The first impression is created in appearance. What matters is style, color scheme, the manner of wearing clothes, and hairstyle.
- Appearance should be neat. It is not necessary to wear chic dresses or tuxedos. A modest neat image is quite appropriate. Jewelry allowed.
- Men should come in a classic suit with a shirt of discreet tones. It is not recommended to use sportswear.
- Attention should be paid to shoes, not only their models, but also to cleanliness. Sneakers, of course, are more convenient, but for a theater event it is better to choose a classic style.
- Hair should be neatly styled. They may fall off the shoulders or be bundled. When using hairpins, it is better to give preference to elegant discreet colors and design.
- Men should also be neatly combed and shaved. One of the fashion trends is wearing a beard. In this case, she should look well-groomed.
- You can use a perfume.
However, it is important not to go too far with perfume or eau de toilette. Otherwise, it may create a feeling of discomfort for people sitting nearby. In addition, the presence of a possible allergy to odors should be considered.
Among the main canons, the following are distinguished.
- You can't be late for the theater. You need to come 15-20 minutes before the last bell rings. Otherwise, they may not be allowed to perform. If you are late, you cannot wade through the aisles between the seats. It is recommended to sit quietly in the nearest free place. You can take your seats during the break.
- Seats should be until the third bell rings. You can’t take other people's seats you like. If the place indicated on the ticket is taken, you should politely ask the seated people to release it.
- You need to go to your places carefullytrying not to offend other viewers. The face should be facing towards the seated person. If the passage is very narrow, sitting spectators need to stand up and allow others to pass.
- Having taken his seat, it is not recommended to occupy both armrestsmoving close, blocking the scene. All this can create a feeling of nervousness, discomfort in others.
Failure to comply with etiquette may provoke a response in the form of indignation. So that comments do not spoil the rest of the evening, you need to be attentive to others.
At a performance or performance
To the basic rules of conduct, whether on a regular performance, opera or musical, include the following.
- Complete silence should be observed. You can not shout something from a place, discuss the actors, rustle with bags, sneeze, cough loudly. Mobile phones need to turn off or turn off the sound. This distracts not only others, but also the actors themselves.
- It is not allowed to sleep during the performance.
- It is not recommended to eat. There should be during a break in special places, for example, in a cafe or bar.
- It is indecent to leave the hall during a theatrical action, even if it is boring.
- If binoculars are given to view the play, it is not recommended to view other viewers through it.
- Do not vigorously express your emotions. Applause is important at the appropriate time. Better if they are restrained.
- Giving flowers should be at the end of the action. You don’t have to go straight to the stage. Bouquets are passed in the aisle between the stage and the first row or through theater staff.
- At the end of the performance, the actors go out to the audience several times, bowing. Therefore, immediately after the completion of the action, one does not need to run faster to pick up clothes.
Etiquette for Opposite Sexes
The theater is the place where you are welcome observance of etiquette between a man and a woman.
- At the entrance to the building, a man must be ahead of a woman. He opens the door to his companion.
- In the wardrobe, a man helps to undress a woman, only then takes off his coat or jacket. The numbers also remain in the satellite pocket. He passes them to the cloakroom at the end of the theatrical performance. Leaving the theater, on the contrary, a man first dresses, and then he helps his girlfriend get dressed.
- At the entrance to the hall where the performance will take place, tickets are given to the controller by a man. They should be kept with him.
- To the places indicated on the tickets, the man passes first, showing the way to his companion.
- Having found the necessary seats, the man must wait for the woman to settle down, and then sit down on his own.
- If during the break the woman remains in the hall, then the man is recommended to stay next to her. If he still needs to go out, then he can do it by first apologizing.
Compliance with ethical standards allows you to make a positive impression on your companion, cause sympathy, trust.
Memo for children
Children are the most demanding audience. They subtly feel the atmosphere of insincerity. Each age is characterized by its own perception of the world, behavioral characteristics. But, despite this, children from an early age need to instill etiquette rules that will help them become successful in life.
Before the first visit to the theater, it is important for the child to briefly, in general terms, explain what kind of place it is, why people come there, what are the rules of behavior.
- During the theatrical action, you must sit exactly on your seat, trying not to hurt the neighbors.
- It is forbidden to run, jump. And during the performance it’s not even allowed to walk.
- It is necessary to observe complete silence. You can not scream, laugh out loud, talk.
- You can’t eat, scattering crumbs, garbage.
- It’s indecent to go out during a theatrical performance.
- You can’t play games on the phone, even if what is happening on stage seems uninteresting.
Having decided to attend a theater event with a child, it is necessary to determine in advance the duration of the theatrical performance, and correctly assess the baby’s ability to sit to the end.
See how to behave in the theater in the next video.
What should be the appearance?
You need to prepare for the trip to the theater in advance in order to choose the right clothes that should match the situation. It is not for nothing that the theater is called the temple of art. In modern reality, this is not so difficult to do, as women don an evening gown, and men no longer need a tuxedo. Nevertheless, it is still necessary to look more elegant than usual.
A suit of calm tones, a light shirt, and a beautiful tie will suit men. And for women - an elegant, but not flashy dress, complemented by accessories, but again not too bulky. It is better to dress more modestly than to overdo it. In a word, as always, it is advisable to adhere to the golden mean.
Observe the measure is also necessary when using perfume. This applies to both women and men. Excessive passion for perfume is regarded as a bad manners. Moreover, with a large accumulation of too “fragrant” persons, where a lot of different aromas are mixed, someone may feel dizzy or even have an allergic reaction.
How to behave before the performance?
According to the rules of conduct in the theater, at the entrance, the tickets are presented to the controller by a man (even if he is invited to the performance by a woman). He also opens the front door to the lady. You need to appear in the theater in advance. This event is festive, so the rush here is extremely inappropriate.
After all, before the performance any actions are always performed, for example, you may need:
- turn over clothes into the wardrobe,
- buy a program
- rent binoculars
- to walk around the lobby, getting acquainted with information about the theater or the performance,
- greet friends.
If you appear in the theater about half an hour before the start of the performance, this would be the best option.
What to consider in the wardrobe?
Following the rules of behavior in the theater, a man must constantly take care of his companion, including in the wardrobe. He is obliged to help her take off her outer clothing, and only then undress himself. After that, he takes things into the locker room and takes the number, leaving it with him. At the same time, you should not carry it on your finger, you need to hide it in your pocket immediately.
After the clothes are handed over, usually a person looks at himself in the mirror, evaluating his appearance. And if he noticed any unwanted touches in him, correcting them right in the lobby would be wrong. To do this, go to the toilet room.
How to get to your place in the hall?
The first man to enter the auditorium. He shows the lady the way to the place (if this is not done by a theatrical employee). Along the row, one should move towards the seated people, if necessary, apologize in a quiet voice, without attracting undue attention, and move on.
In the event that the aisle is very narrow, the one who sits must stand in order to let the passer through. The first is a man who, having reached the place, must stop and wait for his lady to sit down, and then sit down himself. Seats must be taken before the third bell rings. If the seats are located in the middle of the row, then it is better to follow them in advance so as not to disturb the people sitting on the sides again.
If the seats are on the sides, then it’s worth, on the contrary, not to rush so that you don’t have to skip the audience all the time in the middle of the row. If it suddenly turns out that someone has taken your places, you need to show your tickets to the people sitting on them. And then very politely express a request for their release. In the event that “double” tickets are purchased, you need to contact the theater staff, whose responsibility is to resolve this problem.
When you may not be allowed into the hall?
Being late to the theater is a manifestation of indecency. After the lights in the room went out, you can only enter the box. In all other cases, employees have every right to block your access to the place before the intermission. If they showed loyalty and you were allowed to go into the hall, you need to do it as quietly as possible and sit on the first empty seat. Sneaking into the places indicated on the ticket, if they are in the middle of the row, in this situation is unacceptable. This can only be done at intermission.
How to behave on the spot?
After the seats in the hall are safely occupied, you should not think that you can completely relax and not follow the rules of theater etiquette. Here is a reminder of the rules of conduct in the theater during the performance:
- Putting your hands on both armrests is not necessary, as this may interfere with the neighbors. Even if the room is stuffy, it is not recommended to fan the program. No need to consider people in the room with theatrical binoculars. And also while watching you can’t eat and rustle with chocolate foil.
- It is not recommended to sit very close, bending their heads to each other, so as not to interfere with looking at the scene from behind.
- You should not sit with your legs crossed, legs wide apart, lean on the back of the chair in front, rest your feet on it or fall asleep, leaning on the back of your chair (even if you are bored).
- It is required to observe complete silence, not forgetting to turn off the phone in advance, without discussing the acting and the behavior of others. If the latter behave indiscreetly, you must very quietly make a remark to them, and if it does not help, turn to the representatives of the theater for help.
- It is considered bad form to express excessive pleasure from the performance. The applause should not be too loud and prolonged during viewing, usually it is postponed to the end of the performance. As well as the presentation of flowers to the actors. And even more unacceptable are the stamping of feet, screams and whistles. It is not customary in the theater to shout “encore”, since here, unlike a concert, repetition of any scene is impossible.
These 5 basic rules of behavior in the theater while watching a performance will help you to show your culture and, as they say, do not hit your face in the mud.
How to leave?
Concluding the review of the rules of behavior in the theater for adults, it would be advisable to say how to leave it correctly. If a person leaves the hall during the action, he thereby demonstrates poor education. Even if the performance is not at all like it, you need to wait for the intermission to leave.
But even when the performance is already over, one should not rush headlong into the wardrobe for clothes. Indeed, often artists come to bow repeatedly, so you need to wait until the curtain is lowered and slowly rush to the exit. If there are good reasons why the viewer needs to leave the theater early, then there is an unwritten rule in this regard. To do this, they watch the last act from the balcony, after which they quietly leave, without disturbing anyone.
Now let's move on to the rules of conduct in the theater for children.
What should a child learn?
Relying on theatrical etiquette for adults, we can recommend the rules of behavior in the theater to children of the 2nd grade. Here are the most basic ones:
- You cannot be late to the theater.
- The mobile phone must be turned off - neither talking on it nor playing games is permissible.
- To go to your place you need to face the sitting people.
- You should sit still in place, do not spin, do not interfere with others, greatly spreading arms or legs.
- During the concert you can’t: play, chew, make noise, chat with neighbors.
- Clap and give flowers only at the end of the performance.
- It is forbidden to run away to the wardrobe ahead of time before the end of the performance or in the buffet before the intermission.