Real estate requires marketing on a regular basis. You can compare it with the right diet and training. No one expects that a single apple and a single visit to the gym is enough to keep fit, and marketing for real estate also requires constant and focused efforts, and not fabulous results after a single event. The following tips will tell you how to prepare a long-term marketing plan that will help your business not only survive, but stay in top shape.
Four components of real estate promotion
In the real estate sales market today, to one extent or another, all sellers use four important components of competent product promotion:
1) informing the client about the offer,
2) the formation of an understanding of the proposal,
3) customer involvement,
4) the formation of confidence in the seller
True, an overwhelming majority of cases are not observed in a comprehensive marketing approach based on working out all three components. But what is always present is the same type of advertising modules with the facades of the property being sold, its characteristics and the area cut into it for sale and the seller’s contact information.
This stereotypical and “informational approach” produces the effect of “blurring” the look of the potential customer, which is why marketing does not produce the effect that the seller is counting on.
What is it like to be an informant, but at the same time, not to help the client choose?
In order to act incorrectly, it is enough to transfer the principle of selling goods through the counter peculiar to FMCG to the real estate market. What does the “counter” of a company selling, say, country houses look like?
1) Set in a row of icons of diverse and diverse houses of 150x150 pixels in size
2) All icons are ranked by price: from the most expensive house to the cheapest.
3) in a number of cases, stand-alone houses are placed for ACTIONS - houses optimized for the cost of raw materials and materials, or for which the area is calculated on the outer perimeter or for which everything that is possible has been removed: decoration, internal furnishings, delivery, etc.
4) if you want to get acquainted with one of the suggestions “from the counter”, you get to mean material about the thickness of the walls, the perimeter area, a paragraph of the text about energy and the obligatory “top view”.
5) All the houses have oddly vague names, names repeated by each seller: half-timbered houses, Finnish houses, chalets, pool houses. That is, these very “half-timbered houses” are being traded by the entire market, but at the same time, each of the manufacturers uses this name to name a house that is very different from a similar competitor’s house.
6) Moreover, than fachwerk is better or worse than a chalet. Just like in the old joke:
“What's better, Leonid Ilyich?”
- Better than the others.
7) From such a counter, very similar to others, those manufacturers differ who claim that they produce the timber themselves, the lining, they saw and dry the wood themselves or produce bricks. However, you must admit that knowing the size of the manufacturer’s wallet and the fact that he has some kind of production capacity does not mean that the house put on the site will be convenient for the buyer. It’s like having rights doesn’t determine the ability to ride!
8) Look at the offers on the market and pay attention: what is the ratio of photographs of the facades of built houses to photographs of their interior interiors? If you find the GORGEOUS photographing of facades, try to answer the question: do manufacturers sell services for the construction of facades from sawn and planed, kilned and equipped with their goods at their plants or do they sell what the buyer wants - a habitable living environment?
How to properly inform a potential customer?
By and large, the seller of the property and the marketer need not be an "informant" about themselves and their proposal, and it is necessary to work out all three of the above that make up successful marketing.
Almost all manufacturers rely on customer knowledge. True, no one consciously generates this knowledge from the client:
1) Why do all manufacturers start by ranking their offers by cost and size of area, but no one tells: how does a house of 180 square meters differ from a house of 250 squares? That is, 180 meters is enough for what, or if 250 is a lot, how many meters are necessary for me? How many meters of a country house does an adult man of 40 years old or a child of five years old need?
2) The one-time fixed costs for building a house are clear from the price lists, but how much will the fixed operating costs of a house of 180 and a house of 250 squares differ? Is there a difference in the durability of houses of different sizes?
3) A house made of glued beams is advantageous in that it can be settled right after its construction, unlike a log house, which should be “settled” for a year - this is understandable to the manufacturer, but where it is written in simple language on the first pages of sites, in booklets, at the first "lecture" to the future owner of the house?
But what is the best way to promote real estate?
Instead of giving the client data about the project, it is necessary to broadcast mood, image and emotions.
1) Instead of house icons, modern presentation technologies need to be widely used: 3D-mapping, augmented reality, 360-degree projection. The way FMCG trades through the counter, but selling objects for 5 million is worth forking out for visualizing the object.
2) Selling a concrete or wooden box under the roof does not mean that you need to promote log cabins or bricks. In marketing communications, more and more it is necessary to talk not about the product, but about the benefit - about interior solutions, the level of comfort and the life aspirations of buyers realized with the help of real estate objects. More depict people at home, people in the interior, talk no more about engineering solutions, but about the benefits for the buyer in the broadest sense.
3) Technology is good. Now the trend is virtual operators who have developed intelligence and are able to answer even complex customer questions themselves. But living people should sell real estate for millions and save by replacing them with automatic machines - this is not true, since this violates the fundamental principle of selling a premium segment (luxury segment) - "licking" a client. True, this also means that if a live seller knows how to communicate in the same way and knows no more than an electronic consultant, then it’s better to have a machine!
4) A good marketing tool for expensive products is a test drive service. One of the major players in the real estate market, the Miel company offers its customers a test-life service for a weekend trip to Riga, which includes flights and accommodation in a residential complex. This allows you to understand in what conditions, with what neighbors and level of service the client will live if he decides to buy real estate in this company.
5) As part of the general trend, not by “pushing in” expensive real estate, but by communicating with the client, at the last informal meeting of real estate market players, the founder of Goodwood spoke about how the company uses word of mouth and talk about their customers the company and its offer: the client is periodically asked in different positive situations - would he recommend your company to his relatives, acquaintances, colleagues, partners. As a result, the information message is postponed in the mind of the interlocutor and he really begins to recommend the company's objects. With the help of a friendly dialogue, the buyer is “programmed” to transmit information about the company to others. By the way, the company itself can be considered in many ways, if not the model of a marketing approach to communication with a client, then it’s definitely the author of many marketing initiatives.
6) Everywhere, including in the residential real estate market, ATL advertising, every year, is more costly and less effective. However, I have repeatedly drawn the attention of my colleagues to the fact that the main components of advertising should be a brief and unfocused information message - message, benefit - explicit and tangible and action show, action, drive. In order not to make advertisements, but to promote goods and services, you need to do something more than commercials.
For example, in 2005, the Inteko group took an integrated approach, including messaging, profit and action - a TV advertisement of one of the real estate was a game telecast - a paintball tournament in which potential customers were invited to take part and play in a TV show. At the time of the start of the advertising campaign, about 50% of apartments, each of which cost more than $ 1 million, were not sold in the project. Thanks to the unusual promotion, all the remaining apartments were sold as soon as possible - in just 4 months!
Brand for a giant?
Why, for example, DSK-1 or SU-155 to change the name?
These are well-known brands with a reputation and established partnerships. Unless to carry out restyling - just fix the logo and adjust the corporate identity.
However, branding and PR (PR) can help the giants ... for the sale of real estate.
Real estate branding
Branding and naming of residential complexes and individual houses is becoming an almost mandatory attribute for promoting and stimulating sales of real estate.
If you are selling real estate, a branding agency can offer you naming, branding and a brand book - that is, a name that will be remembered, a positioning and promotion solution that is different from competitors, and a book that says everything about your brand.
Branding creates a captivating story for a new building, and the old house itself will help give the charm of a development company with its own stories and legends. Also, restyling, design and decoration will help real estate become more attractive.
The “Beautiful” Brand Name for a construction project not only has a significant impact on sales, but also simplifies the communication of sellers and buyers. New houses or residential complexes do not receive their permanent address immediately, and sometimes the numbering of houses changes during construction. And if a brand name is assigned to a house, then realtors will be insured against such troubles and can, without any particular problems, even from the very beginning of construction start advertising companies selling apartments in it.
Demand for real estate after the crisis is growing gradually, but not as fast as in the pre-crisis years, so the “Beautiful” Brand Name for real estate helps orient buyers and realtors.
The “beautiful” name of the property serves as an additional incentive to purchase. Residential complexes "Russian Modern", "English Quarter" or "Kingston", for example, are being implemented more successfully than "OWNERSHIP 42 on the 2nd Street of Builders", especially if they have good PR support in the media, on the Internet and are supported by a reputation construction or development company.
Under the umbrella is better ...
The names of umbrella brands for real estate become especially popular when several real estate properties are sold under a single brand - cottage villages or town houses that differ in similar characteristics.
For example, the brand of network cottage villages Smartville (Smartville), combining several real estate objects, has already become iconic and is being transferred to more and more new objects.
How beautiful the brand concept sounds - “...“ Smart ”in English means“ smart, quick-witted, sensible, sensible, effective ”. Smart-class implies a reasonable and economical approach to all aspects of country life. The ideology of Smartville is based on the principle of European rationalism - all for comfort, but nothing more. The project involves an optimized infrastructure, a rational and thoughtful architecture and cost-effectiveness in operation.
Smartville cottage villages: technological, but cozy, stylish and modern, but economical, organized, but individual, not burdened with excessive infrastructure, but have everything you need, while thought out to the smallest detail, stylish and comfortable. They were created for those who appreciate the delights of suburban life, but know the value of money and are not ready to take unjustified risks. ” Nice, huh? And sparingly, isn't it?
The promotion of such umbrella brands, accompanied by original concepts and confirmed by significant consumer properties, significantly saves the advertising budgets of property owners.
The real estate market already requires ...
Branding and PR (PR) are becoming significant tools for real estate advertising.
The situation on the real estate market contributes to its improvement and makes the industry enterprises more and more inventive in the methods of implementing their projects.
If in past years developers could allow themselves to be conservative, now absolutely any company operating in this sector is actively trying to lure customers from its competitors, using original ideas and the latest branding, advertising and PR technologies.
Increased competition, in turn, helps stimulate the development and improvement of new creative marketing technologies.
The strategic development departments of development companies, together with creative studios and branding agencies, create advertising and PR campaigns using creative ideas and strategies. The post-crisis struggle for the consumer forced to increase the share of image advertising for real estate aimed at strengthening the reputation of industry companies.
What does reputation mean ...
Reputation (Eng. Reputation) - historically established public opinion about a brand, company or person, the so-called "social assessment". Among other things, in business, it is Reputation that is the fundamental principle of decision making.
As a rule, reputation is formed spontaneously, and usually the management of this process is associated not so much with creation, but with control and profiling.
Reputation management features consist in a continuous two-way interaction between a brand, a company or a person and a target audience that needs constantly updated facts that testify to a positive image, as well as authoritative opinions and interpretations.
Reputation management is carried out on the basis of a comprehensive program and takes place under the patronage of experienced PR and brand managers. An effective reputation management strategy involves an orderly presence of missions, messages and information cores that reveal values, ethical norms and principles that correspond to the needs and requirements, fears and fears of the main contact audiences and, especially, opinion leaders.
The promotion of real estate actively includes the reputation attributes of brands, creative solutions and trusting relationships.
Where to get an investor?
Particular attention from PR areas should be paid to Investment Relations - relations with investors and Government Relations - relations with government agencies.
Large and many medium-sized development companies are intensifying their work with large investors and government agencies. Especially - influencing federal and regional financial flows.
Hence, there is a special interest in creative and, at the same time, corporate design of annual reports and presentation products, as well as reputation means of public relations (PR), especially - IR - investor relations and GR - relations with state structures.
Of particular importance for real estate advertising is creative PR, immediate PR - “word of mouth” (both “banal” rumors and professional expert opinions and interpretations) and Internet PR
Just a simple advertisement?
Any advertising campaign consists of two interconnected blocks - the creation of creative (creative) advertising and its placement on various advertising media.
The advertising concept provides the customer with an original approach to the advertised object. This may be a representation in a completely unexpected aspect of the advertised Company or brand. The advertising concept draws attention to itself, represents a commercial idea and a trademark and serves as the basis for the production of specific advertising - a video clip, a print layout, or even an entire advertising campaign.
For example, the phrase of the slogan of the development project “Red October” “offices with views of the Kremlin”, which has a “double meaning”, attracts attention and promotes sales.
Creative is valuable only if it helps sell. Even the most original ideas, strategies, and divinely beautiful designs will be useless if they do not correspond to the market situation and the psychographic characteristics of the target audience.
And, on the contrary, the advertising creative, most fully, emotionally and / or convincingly conveying the advertising message to the consumer, significantly saves money on advertising.
Advertising that works
Рекламоносители, используемые для продвижения объектов недвижимости, строительных, девелоперских и риелторских организаций в посткризисный период претерпели существенные изменения
По мнению маркетингового отдела PR2B Group, наиболее эффективными носителями рекламы недвижимости являются телевидение, интернет и наружная реклама, стоимость тысячи контактов у них минимальна.
Let's see a telly?
Television, as an advertising medium for real estate, is used not only by the largest industry players, despite the fact that it has quite high cost limits of efficiency.
With an insufficient number of impressions, television advertising does not justify itself. To perceive the message, the client must see it at least six times. As a rule, if you spend less than $ 500,000 per month on television advertising, its impact is not enough for a client to make a decision.
But the image moment of the company's presence on the TV screen, of course, matters. Reputation in real estate is of no small importance. Therefore, television advertising, coupled with other means of advertising, is used by medium-sized companies. However, PR-technologies of Media Relations - relations with the media, make it possible to ensure the constant presence of both the company itself and its iconic people on television channels and other media.
To advertise real estate objects, banner banners are used mainly located in the immediate vicinity of the objects, as well as on the most passable highways.
Most of the target audience of advertising campaigns using banner banners - these are people with medium and high incomes, moving in cars. Therefore, among the customers of this advertising, brands, financial institutions, and, of course, prevail — real estate organizations.
The ideal hauling is not overloaded with information. The main target audience is considering hauling in motion. Therefore, the main task of the advertiser is to “catch the eye”. You can "color spot." You can dissonance. You can use multi-format fonts. You can slogan. It is possible - with a non-standard design (yes, banner-banners of a non-standard design with backlight have already appeared). Better - a combination of all the components.
The most common format for billboards is 3 × 6.
Extensive statistics are collected on 3X6 shields; in many cities there are information bases for monitoring free, reserved and occupied shields. Using these databases, it’s easier to create massive advertising campaigns to promote network of real estate companies, large construction and development companies that carry out independent sales of real estate.
But, for the sale of elite housing, large-format billboards are more efficient, up to huge firewalls and supersites, which are not only better visible, but they also declare the status of the advertised property in their format.
One of the cheapest and most effective means of outdoor advertising is advertising on city signs. It is especially loved to use the offices of real estate companies.
Advertising on city signs refers to the type of advertising that is impossible to refuse. After all, signs are part of the urban orientation system. Focusing on finding the right information leads to memorization and advertising message.
In addition, this type of promotion is quite inexpensive for the advertiser, inexpensive and effective. The effectiveness here is not only that such advertising cannot be avoided.
Firstly, the proximity to useful information (street name or house number) gives additional credibility to the advertising message and causes more confidence in it. Secondly, on the advertising field of city signs, you can not only advertise, but also show the direction of movement. Thirdly, this is not aggressive obsessive advertising, it is an advertisement of status dignity. And the thesis is read: "... We are here, we just care about the convenience of our customers ...".
In addition, the low cost of signs allows for a small investment to carry out an extensive and effective advertising campaign. The average term for advertising on signs is 2 years, the minimum is 1 year. In Moscow, for example, the cost of producing and placing advertisements on the index field depends on its size and the placement period and ranges from $ 2,000 to 7,000 ... per year.
Dumping of almost all print media, coupled with changes in the priorities of target audiences, led to a noticeable increase in modular advertising in the press, especially in business magazines and specialized publications (Real Estate and Prices, Catalog Magazines, etc.)
Elements of reputational PR in the media also become popular when eminent persons of companies act as industry experts and give detailed interviews, express expert opinions or interpret industry events.
Internet - no problem!
All construction, development and real estate companies actively use or seek to use the Internet. It should be noted that for the promotion of real estate objects, website optimization in search engines, contextual and banner advertising on the Internet are actively used.
For the sale of individual real estate properties, selling sites with built-in SEO system and branding elements are created (for example, projects Apartment in Istra kvartiravistre.ru or Apartment in Podolsk kvartiravpodolske.ru). These sites provide direct sales of real estate to the local community.
To a lesser extent, real estate construction and development companies use Internet PR and viral marketing technologies to enhance their reputation.
Low cost - high effect
One of the most low-cost and effective technologies for promoting on the Internet is the Puppet project trap.
This is a PR event using the technology of Internet forums, professional and social networks.
The virtual legendary character “Puppet”, with a socio-demographic profile appropriate to the target audience, introduces into the professional communities Facts, Problems, Opinions, Interpretations, Problem Solving, etc., which are profitable for the Company, and most importantly - directly inclines potential customers to acquire Company property on behalf of third parties not affiliated with the Company.
Puppets actively participate in professional communities, conduct discussions, initiate discussions of professional information, rumors and interpretations necessary for the Company. By managing puppets, the Company manages professional opinions about itself in the management community.
The viral marketing project, Video Attack, is also interesting in its effectiveness and low cost.
“Video attack” is a PR project aimed at increasing the efficiency of queries in search engines, targeting search engine users to a promoted Company. ALL target audiences use search engines to make decisions when purchasing real estate.
First, shooting or reformatting to YouTube, RUTube, etc., ready-made videos about the company, its equipment, techniques and uniqueness is performed. The videos can be different - from visiting iconic figures (for example, ... President of the Russian Federation D.A. Medvedev) to real estate objects to funny cartoon videos in 3D graphics.
The videos are provided with headings, a description and keywords and are posted on YouTube, RUTube, etc. To increase the reach of the target audience, puppets link to the videos.
As a result, upon request for the given keywords, Company videos will appear in the Video field and support informational materials, contextual advertising and site optimization ...
In terms of cost, only advertising that affects the local community at the entrances of residential buildings and at stops of public transport can be compared with reputation PR on the Internet, but they are rarely used for real estate sales, in vain believing that these means of advertising do not correspond to the target audience. For example, targeted advertising programs at the entrances of residential buildings can be ranked for new buildings, luxury homes, middle-class houses and economy class houses ...
As additional means of advertising real estate, escalator boards are used at the exits of the metro to real estate or nearby transport hubs. Stickers-application in subway cars and sound advertising in the subway are used to promote a group of real estate objects or a reputation campaign of a construction or development company.
In the regions, stickers are often used to promote real estate on stickers in electric train cars, especially for improved comfort. And in the Sapsan high-speed trains, there are also layouts of presentation materials and video clips.
Promotion of Moscow, resort and foreign real estate is particularly successful in the airline logbooks and using indoor advertising in VIP airport zones. Real estate advertising is placed even on transport trolleys. Here, the assimilation of advertising is facilitated by the effect of a forced "information hunger", characteristic of a waiting situation.
For the promotion of real estate, multi-format billboards, on-board advertising by minibus, and many other effective means of advertising are also used.
Given the trusting nature of relations in real estate, it is possible to predict the rapid development of creative marketing technologies aimed both at direct sales and at strengthening the reputation of companies, as well as public relations and branding of construction, development and real estate companies.
© Internet project "Encyclopedia of Marketing", 1998–2018