What is this TalkBack program for Android, users are interested in how to explain its purpose? So what is it?
TalkBack is a utility preinstalled in the device’s shell by default and is an application that makes life much easier. In other words, text to speech is called!
How to decipher it and understand what kind of TalkBack program it is? The software is designed for people with visual impairments and allows you to voice any action carried out by the owner of the smartphone.
In addition, you can give another answer to the question, why is it necessary? Back-up utility allows you to free your hands and control the device with your voice. This is an indispensable tool for busy people - for example, drivers driving.
You can understand what TalkBack is in the phone only if you have studied all the features of the program. Let's talk about what features distinguish software:
- Receive voice notifications about the number or name of the contact with an incoming call,
- Voice acting of the text displayed on the device’s screen,
- The ability to select a voiceover option from several options,
- Translation of a voice message into a text version and vice versa,
- Automatic scrolling lists
- Customizable gesture support
- Create a report on actions on the device,
- Reading text documents or website content,
- Voice acting for any screen touches (when you click on the application icon, etc.),
- Programming keys to control actions,
- Control functions with gestures and shakes,
- Automatic volume control in the presence of a distance sensor.
What kind of TalkBack application we figured out - it's time to talk about how you can turn it on and off, and configure the option management.
Activation and deactivation
The most difficult thing is to get used to new features and deal with the intricacies of use. But how to disable TalkBack or activate it - everyone will figure it out.
Let's start by turning on TalkBack on your phone:
- Open your device’s settings,
- Select the "Advanced" subsection,
- Go to the Accessibility section,
- In the “Services” block, you will see an icon with the name of the utility,
- Open the line - you will see the activation toggle switch,
- Move it to the on position.
Done! Now it’s worth noting the option control:
- During the first launch, connect the headphones to the smartphone,
- To start, you need to touch the settings screen with two fingers and hold them before you remove them,
- If you use the operating system 4.0, then draw a triangle on the settings screen,
- To unlock with a graphic key, you need to draw it with two fingers.
Finally, recall that with the utility running, the following actions were taken:
- One tap on the icon turns on the backlight,
- Double tap - activation of work.
You won’t have to think long how to disable TalkBack function on Android - the instruction is similar to the above algorithm:
- Go to settings,
- Go to accessibility
- In the section with the name of the assistant, turn the toggle switch to the "Inactive" position,
- Confirm the action by pressing the "OK" button.
Please note that the names of the menu sections may vary slightly depending on the model of the device - consider this when setting up the utility.
We discussed how to enable and disable the TalkBack function on Android - if you want to free your hands for important matters, rather study our review and delve into the features of the application.
How to disable Talkback through settings
To disable the Talkback function on your phone, you can use the universal method that is suitable for many devices with the Android operating system. This method is relevant if you cannot deactivate the function using the volume buttons. Depending on the model, the principle may differ, but the general approach is identical.
To disable Talkback, do the following:
- Go to the phone settings section.
- Click on the “Accessibility” section.
- Enter the “Screen Reader”, “Vision” sections, etc. The name may vary depending on the version of Android and the mobile device.
- Find the name of the program. If you need to disable Talkback on Samsung, the name of the software may differ (Voice Assistant).
- Move the slider to the “Disabled” position.
If desired, you can get rid of the application by stopping it at the service level. In this case, the software remains on the device with Android, but will not start. Some user settings will also be deleted. To deactivate a service, take the following steps:
- go to settings, and then to the applications section,
- in Android 7.0 and higher, give a command to display all applications or switch to the “Everyone” section,
- Find Talkback and stop the service,
- agree to the terms of the warning.
Next, a message appears that the version will be restored to the original. Approve the action and verify that the service is stopped. It disappears from the list of connected applications, and also leaves the settings of the volume control button.
What is TalkBack?
TalkBack is a program that voices all your actions on an Android gadget. The application is a Google service, it is integrated by default into the Android operating system. TalkBack is updated automatically and is improved every time.
p, blockquote 2.0,0,0,0 ->
This service will be a great way for visually impaired users to work with all the functions of the gadget in full. Still TalkBack is suitable for motorists, so as not to be distracted from the road.
p, blockquote 3,0,0,0,0,0 ->
Key Talkback Features
In fact, the functionality of the utility is significantly more than described. It will not be difficult for the user to determine how this program works. Scrolling with the application activated is done with two fingers.
p, blockquote 4,0,0,0,0,0 ->
TalkBack is a rather specific application, so it may not be useful to a healthy person. Due to the constant scoring of actions, the utility quickly bores; users immediately try to turn it off on gadgets.
p, blockquote 5,0,1,0,0 ->
How to use Talkback?
In the application settings there is an understandable and detailed instruction that is easy to use. Often, users learn quickly and successfully work with the utility.
p, blockquote 6.0,0,0,0,0 ->
The hardest part here is getting used to, to activate any action, the user requires a double click on a key or button, and the touch screen must be operated with two fingers.
p, blockquote 7,0,0,0,0 ->
Consider the most popular and useful features of the program:
p, blockquote 9,0,0,0,0 ->
- The “Explore by touch” option allows you to pronounce the name of the program with a single tap on the screen of its shortcut. To start the selected program, you just need to touch it.
- “Speak phonetic symbols.” The function is useful, it allows you to recognize characters on the virtual keyboard. Touching the letter on the keyboard, the user will hear the word on which it begins.
- "Shake to read." By shaking the device, the user will be able to activate reading text from the gadget's screen to voice.
How to enable TalkBack?
When the software is activated, including using the quick start function, Talkback will be able to give notifications by vibration, voice and sound about events, and read text from the gadget screen. During the first launch, you need to connect headphones to the device, then you do not need to do this by changing the settings.
p, blockquote 10,1,0,0,0 ->
To start the application, you need to touch the settings screen with two fingers and hold them. A tablet or smartphone recognizes this command and activates it. To activate the program on a device with Android 4.0, you need to draw a closed triangle on the settings screen.
p, blockquote 11,0,0,0,0 ->
If Talkback is activated on the device, you can unlock it in two ways. To do this, hold two fingers up and down the display and, if necessary, specify the unlock code.
p, blockquote 12,0,0,0,0 ->
The second way is to use audio prompts. You need to find the unlock button located in the middle of the bottom of the display, then double-click on it.
p, blockquote 13,0,0,0,0 ->
How to stop Talkback?
In the utility settings, you can pause its functioning. This is done according to the instructions:
p, blockquote 15,0,0,1,0 ->
- We open the context menu of the program.
- Select "Pause reviews." The item is located in the upper left corner of the circular menu.
- Then this action should be confirmed.
If necessary, you can uncheck "Always display this warning", which in the future will allow the program to pause immediately.
p, blockquote 16,0,0,0,0 ->
Disable Talkback on Android
Disabling the program is quite simple. Let's consider methods for a gadget on Android without sub-settings and for a Samsung Galaxy device based on TouchWiz.
p, blockquote 17,0,0,0,0,0 ->
Instructions for Android without sub-settings:
p, blockquote 18,0,0,0,0 ->
- Go to the settings.
Then we find the item "Accessibility". We open it.
By moving the lever, disable the program.
Instructions for Samsung Galaxy:
p, blockquote 19,0,0,0,0 ->
- Go to the settings.
As in the previous situation, we find the menu "Accessibility".
The switch is set to Off.
p, blockquote 20,0,0,0,1 ->
Disable TalkBack on Android
If you accidentally activated the application using the function buttons or in the accessibility menu of the gadget, then it is quite easy to disable it. Well, those who are not going to use the program at all can completely deactivate it.
Note! Moving inside the system with the voice assistant turned on requires a double click on the selected button. Scrolling through the menu is done with two fingers at once.
In addition, depending on the model of the device and version of Android, the actions may differ slightly from those discussed in the article. However, in general, the principle of searching, configuring and disabling TalkBack should always be the same.
Method 1: Quick Shutdown
After you activate TalkBack, you can quickly turn it on and off using the physical buttons. This option is convenient for instant switching between the operating modes of the smartphone. Regardless of the model of your device, this happens as follows:
- Unlock the device and simultaneously hold both volume buttons for about 5 seconds, until you feel a slight vibration.
In older devices (Android 4), hereinafter, the power button can replace them, so if the first option did not work, try holding the button "On off" on the case. After vibration and until the window with the completion of work appears, attach two fingers to the screen and wait for repeated vibration. The voice assistant will inform you that the feature has been disabled. The corresponding inscription will appear at the bottom of the screen.
This option will work only if you previously assigned TalkBack activation to the buttons as a quick activation of the service. Check and configure this, provided that you plan to reuse the service from time to time, as follows:
- Go to "Settings" >"Specialist. opportunities".
Select item "Volume buttons".
If the regulator is on "Turned off"activate it.
You can also use the item “Allow on locked screen”so that to enable / disable the assistant did not need to unlock the screen.
Go to “Quick service activation”.
A list of all tasks for which this service will be responsible appears. Press on "OK", exit the settings and you can check whether the installed activation parameter works.
Method 2: Disable through Settings
Having difficulty deactivating using the first option (a malfunctioning volume button, an unadjusted quick shutdown), you need to visit the settings and disable the application directly. Depending on the model of the device and the shell, the menu items may vary, but the principle will be similar. Use names or use the search box at the top "Settings"if you have one.
- Open "Settings" and find the item "Specialist. opportunities".
In section Screen readers (it may not exist or it is called differently) click on TalkBack.
Press the button in the form of a switch to change the status from "On" on Disabled.
You can also stop the application as a service, in this case, although it remains on the device, it will not start and lose some of the settings assigned by the user.
- Open "Settings"then “Applications and notifications” (or simply "Applications").
In Android 7 and above, expand the list with the button "Show all applications". On previous versions of this OS, switch to the tab "Everything".
Find TalkBack and press the button Disable.
A warning appears that you must agree to by clicking on “Turn off the application”.
Another window will open where you will see a message about restoring the version to the original one. Existing updates on top of what was installed during the release of the smartphone will be deleted. Tap on "OK".
Now if you go to "Specialist. opportunities", then you will not see the application there as a connected service. It will disappear from the settings "Volume buttons"if they were assigned to TalkBack (more on this is described in Method 1).
To enable, follow steps 1-2 from the instructions above and click on the button Enable. To return additional features to the application, just visit the Google Play Store and install the latest TalkBack updates.
Method 3: Complete removal (root)
This option is suitable only for users who have root-rights on a smartphone. By default, TalkBack can only be disabled, but superuser rights remove this limitation. If this application didn’t please you something and you want to get rid of it completely, use the software to remove system programs on Android.
Despite the huge benefit for people with vision problems, accidentally turning on TalkBack can cause significant discomfort. As you can see, it is very easy to disable it using the quick method or through the settings.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.