Some car owners in the winter do not use their cars. What needs to be done so that during these months of parking in the car various kinds of malfunctions and damage are not found?
A number of technical literature provides a complete list of works that are supposed to be carried out before long-term storage of the car. Here and covering the seats with special covers, and wrapping the universal joint with oiled paper, and draining the oil, and a number of other events.
But, as experience shows, in most of these measures there is no particular need.
What to do before storing a vehicle
The car will survive storage painlessly, subject to the following set of measures.
1. The first step is to thoroughly wash and dry the machine from above and below, as well as to clean it in the passenger compartment.
2. To clean the found out places of corrosion, to process with special means and to paint. Bolts and nuts must be greased with grease to prevent corrosion. The body should preferably be treated with a preservative. Wipe the chrome parts of the car with a swab soaked in liquid mineral oil.
3. To unload tires and springs during storage of a car, lift it on supports. Part of the air must be released from the tires, reducing the pressure to 0.05 MPa.
4. The fan drive belt must be loosened, also drain the water from the cooling system. If you use a low-freezing fluid, then you do not need to drain it. And also, do not forget to drain that liquid from the windshield washer reservoir, which may freeze.
5. Tightly plug the silencer tube and the carburetor air pipe with oiled fabric swabs. This will help prevent corrosion in the internal parts of the engine. Air flows will not be able to introduce corrosive gases from the muffler into the engine.
6. Some people recommend storing oil in cylinders during long-term storage of the car in winter, but this is not necessary. The working surface of the cylinders resists corrosion well and therefore practically does not rust.
7. No need to apply the parking brake. Brake pads during the winter can rust to the drums, so you have to remove and clean them. And this is a very laborious job.
8. If the battery is serviceable, then it can be left. It is only necessary to disconnect it from the on-board network. If the battery is old and does not hold discharge, it must be removed and stored in a cool room.
9. If the car is stored in a garage, the trunk lid and doors must be left ajar. This will prevent crushing of the rubber seals.
Recommendations for cars with air conditioning
This recommendation is for those who have a car with air conditioning and are in the garage, then do not remove the battery. And even more so, if there is such an opportunity, then it is necessary to check the operation of your air conditioner.
Once every two weeks, it would be nice to start the car and warm up the engine, as well as start the air conditioner for five minutes. The battery needs to be recharged once a month.
Car storage in an open area
And if the car will be stored in an open area, then it needs to be covered with a cover. The cover should not have contact with the surface of the body, this can spoil the paint, it is better not to cover it at all.
When storing a car, I advise you to make a frame that will not come into contact with the car and there will already be an awning on this frame. And it is advisable to sweep snow off the car more often, otherwise a thick layer of which can deform the roof of the car or hood.
If you follow these basic rules, in the spring you can easily start your car and hit the road in the spring.
Video: how to store a car in winter.
And finally, a car is needed to ride on it. I do not argue that those salts, which our streets are abundantly sprinkled against ice, are very insidiously affecting the body, and the running gear.
How to store a car, 14 simple tips
Once, in Soviet times, many car enthusiasts were very careful about their cars, the car was a rare deficit and people got it with great difficulty, literally years passed before the future owner could buy the car he wanted, a Zhiguli, Moskvich, Zaporozhets ... .
Because of such difficulties, the attitude towards iron horses was appropriate, he was cherished more than the apple of his eye, trying his best to maintain the original appearance of the car for as long as possible. For this reason, the vast majority of car owners did not drive private cars in bad weather or in winter.
And so, in order to save the car during a long period of inactivity in the garage or under an awning, in winter it had to be carefully prepared, otherwise after the “wintering” of the incorrectly preserved Zhiguli or Muscovites it was already impossible to start from a half turn or they might have different unforeseen breakdowns in the first days, break-in weeks.
Drivers of those times could easily list all the necessary actions for the correct preservation of the car, even wake them in the middle of the night and ask about it, now, when there is no urgent need for this, the skill is lost, almost no modern driver can confidently name what needs to be done for the safety of the machine. And why is it needed, keep it, the reader will ask. To which the answer will be given, all skills are needed. And no, no, yes, and the ability to put the car on hold is useful.
There are different situations in life, you need to fly on a business trip, for a month, another, a trip on vacation by train, a breakdown in the car, after all, but there is no money to fix it, etc. etc.
List of steps for car safety:
1. Changing the oil and filter. If you want to put the car in the garage for a long period of time, six months, years or more, you need to change the oil in the engine to one that does not precipitate during prolonged downtime of the car. For these purposes, avoid the use of oil with additives, as they can give instead a positive, opposite effect.
2. Fill a full tank of high-quality, fresh gasoline. Before preserving, fill a full tank of good gasoline. Since condensation may appear in the gas tank over time, it is extremely important to fill it to the maximum, water simply will not be able to collect in the voids of the gas tank. Also, low-quality fuel can have various excess impurities, including a certain amount of water, which also carries a certain threat to the metal parts of the fuel tank.
3. Check coolant level , It must meet the requirements of the manufacturer.
4. Inflate tires to standard pressure. If you put the car on a joke for the winter, check the pressure in all tires. Refer to the instruction manual for the required nominal tire pressure. Make sure the tires do not bleed air.
Pumping is necessary to prevent the appearance of planes in the tire spot.
However, one way or another, during the first trip after storing the car, you will most likely feel an unpleasant run out of tires, after a short time this effect will come to naught.
5. Wash the machine. Carry out a full cleaning of the car, clean the interior, drive into the sink, especially clean the wheels, dirt and metal dust tend to eat into the paintwork. Wax the body. It should not have traces of insects, dirt, grease or bird droppings.
6. If you will store the car indoors , open the windows slightly, only a little so that small animals do not get into the cabin through them.
Do not forget to plug the air intake hole and the exhaust pipe with pieces of cloth, this will protect the car from small animals from entering various parts of your car.
7. Battery. If the vehicle is stored for a short time, it is not necessary to remove the battery from it; nothing will happen to it in a short time. But if you plan not to drive a car for a longer period, then it is better to disconnect the battery and put it in a heated room.
For modern cars. Please check with your authorized dealer whether it is possible to remove the battery yourself; in modern cars, there may be protection for removing it.
8. Wiper blades. They are also better to remove and pick up in a warm room or put in a car.
9. If the car will not be used for a long period of time , to prevent deformation of tires, it is advisable to hang the wheels, putting it on the supports. Tires should only slightly touch the surface. In this position, the tires will not suffer and the suspension will remain in its original form.
10. Release the handbrake.
11. Leave a note, which will indicate everything that you did with the car during its conservation. When you pick it up, you can easily, point by point, restore everything, without forgetting the little things.
12. Finally, close the doors.
13. And finally. If the car will winter or stand on a joke not in the garage, but on the street, get a car cover. And neither rain, nor snow or the sun's rays can harm your car.